Advantages of a Pneumatic Capsule Pipeline
A transportation manager's dream.
- Reasonable and competitive capital cost.
- Low operating cost.
- Low maintenance cost.
- Few moving parts.
- Uses clean fuel — electricity.
- Environmentally friendly — small footprint.
- Safe — transportation takes place inside a pipe, no threat to or loss of life or injuries from moving vehicles.
- Quiet — capsules / trains run on pneumatic rubber tires.
- Pollution control - all air entering and exiting system is filtered.
- No blow-off or loss of product while in transit due to vibration. (Normally 1 to 10 percent.)
- Little or no degeneration of product while in transit due to vibration.
- Can be installed vertically (up and/or down), inclined (up and/or down) or horizontally.
- Bends are long and sweeping.
- Can be installed IN the ground, ON the ground, overhead or under water.
- Unaffected by weather, heat, cold, rain, snow, wind, etc.
- Can be painted (and made into the longest sign in the world).
- Little or no environmental damage if pipeline is broken.
- No driving personnel requiring rest breaks, meals, benefits, vacations, sick leave, etc.
- Few maintenance staff required.
- Small maintenance shop is required at one or both ends of the system (not physically aslarge as those required for trucks or trains).
- Less expensive to build small maintenance shop.
- Less expensive to operate small maintenance shop.
- Energy can be reclaimed when braking descending loaded trains. This electrical energy is fed back into the user’s electrical grid.
- There are no power sources on capsules / trains for acceleration or braking. This is accomplished through the airflow.
- Capsules / trains cannot dump within the pipeline due to their unique design.
- More than one product can be shipped simultaneously — one product per truck or trainload — products will not mix.
- Two-way product transportation is practical and not expensive. Example — copper ore one way, tailings returned.
- Multiple entrances and exits from the system are practical.
- While most systems have welded joints, short sections can be made to relocate with manual joints.
- Central control is located where convenient for the user. Remote control locations can also be added.
- The propulsion air for these systems will aid in ventilation of the mine to remove heat and humidity.
- Can easily transport ore from mine face to shaft, up shaft to surface and on to the Mill without - cables and hoists - not subject to elevator code - transferring to other transport systems
- Capsules / trains can transport product to top of Mill or Silo for dumping. Product moves down by gravity. Eliminates secondary transportation systems.
- For underground mines these systems do not have to share main shaft with skip hoist, rather a raise bored shaft approximately 3 feet (1 meter) in diameter.
- These systems can be easily added to without a major disturbance to main transportation system during installation or cutover.
- These pipelines can be attached to existing bridges outside the area of the main traffic flow.
- These pipelines can be suspended above streams/rivers and gullies with catenary bridges.
- Propulsion blowers are located at one or both ends of the system and may be boosted in the middle, depending on the length of system and grade.
- Train detectors located along the length of the system advise the central control of the operation of the system and cause alarms and a printout when trouble occurs.
- When a power failure occurs, trains in the vertical or steep incline pipeline will gently and slowly fall/roll back in a sealed column or air. They will resume their original travel when the air power is restored. When an incident / accident occurs in a mine, a Pneumatic Capsule Pipeline can be used as follows after the system is purged of product carrying capsules / rains, providing the Pneumatic Capsule Pipeline and its control systems are not damaged.
- All control valves are opened and with the aid of special blowers / exhauster:
A. Blow fresh air into the mine OR
B. Exhaust air, fumes, dust, gasses, heat, etc., from the mine.
- Providing the Pneumatic Capsule Pipeline is a large enough diameter:
A. Rescue trains containing rescue crews and equipment can be transported into the
B. These rescue trains can transport miners and spent rescue equipment back to the
- There are no belt conveyors to maintain or catch fire.
- Everything takes place in a pipe. Safety is not an issue with people outside the pipeline.